Sunday, May 5, 2013

Dedication

Z and G,

Today was your baby dedication at church. We stood before the congregation with Sandy, promising to raise you to know the Lord, and asking them to help us show you how to know and love Him. Daddy thanked them for helping us get you home, and told them why he first called you "Mighty Men." He shared Psalm 29, your first Bible verse that teaches you about who God is.






After church we went out to lunch with Grandmarmy, Addie, Eli, Grandad, Uncle Pete and Astleigh, Aunt Katherine, and two of her friends to celebrate with a big lunch at El Mariachi (after all, it's Cinco de Mayo!) and now while all the family is on their long drive home, you and Daddy are sleeping. (I decided to get up and write down these thoughts - Mommy has never been good at taking naps since she can always think of something she'd rather do.)

Things you should know:

1) We dedicated you to God before we ever held you. It was pretty clear to Mommy and Daddy right away that getting to be your parents was the greatest privilege we might ever know, and we also knew pretty fast that we'd better not try to do it on our own. So we gave you right back to God. Hard as it is to imagine, we know He loves you even more than we can. We trust Him to shepherd you, and to show us how He wants you to grow up. It's very exciting, and a big relief - you are His!

2) There are many things that Mommy and Daddy pray for you every day, but this is the biggest: that one day, when you're old enough to understand, you know your God, and give your life to Him. Since today's dedication has been on my mind all week, I've been listening to songs that voice all those dreams we have for you. I like to listen to them and cry with joy and anticipation of you experiencing them all. Mommies are weird like that. This is one of my favorites, by a song artist my Mommy used to listen to (while she cried). :)

"Your Whole Life Long," Twila Paris

I pray the Lord will hold you close and keep you through the night,
That you will wake up smiling in the early morning light,
That He will always comfort you and make you brave and strong,
I pray that you will follow Him your whole life long.

I pray that you will grow up to be wise and good and true,
I pray that you will please the Lord in everything you do,
I pray that you will hear His voice and learn to sing His song,
I pray that you will follow Him your whole life long.

I pray that you will follow Him,
I pray that you will follow Him,
I pray that you will follow Him your whole life long.

I pray the Lord will bless you with His presence every day,
I pray he will protect you every step along the way,
Help you love what's right and lead you far away from wrong,
I pray that you will follow Him your whole life long.

I pray that you will follow Him,
I pray that you will follow Him,
I pray that you will follow Him your whole life long.

 


We love you, we're so proud of you already, and we feel blessed to have a church body that feels the same way. They join us in loving you before you do anything to earn it, wanting you to know your Creator and Savior, and laughing when you make faces and pull off your adorable hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment